Hello again and welcome to another blog post about my first full week of school with the students. For this post, I am still going to treat this as if it were my old Researcher Notebook and just comment on a few observations that I had this week. So, without further ado, let us begin.
I'm not going to lie - the first week was rough for me. No, the students weren't out of control; no, I didn't completely mess up the lessons I was teaching; and no, the school did not get ravaged by flesh-eating muskrats with a hankering for brains. But, teaching from lesson plans that are not mine and having to come into a classroom that belongs to someone else and take over is a very difficult thing to do. I now see how subbing can be so difficult at times, but somehow this is different.
Being in a classroom with an already established teacher makes things difficult in the sense that we are going to be doing things differently. Not everything that works for her is going to work for me and vice versa. It is very difficult to come in and try to take over a class without stepping on any toes and causing someone to get angry. But these are things that I am going to have to overcome or deal with as the semester progresses and hopefully things work out for the best. I know that when I have my own classroom, I will be able to do the things I want and that this situation is only temporary.
Switching gears now to the students I have in my classroom, I am thoroughly impressed by the skills that these students possess. I am also glad that they all put up with the worksheets I made them do for the first week (this was only because students kept switching classes and I didn't want anyone to get behind). I am excited to see what this semester has in store and I am excited to see what these students bring to the table when we get into some deeper and more complex material. Side note: I have several students in my classroom now who I have had before and I have already developed a relationship with these students. Now, I just need to try to get more acquainted with the other students I'm not so familiar with.
I understand that this post isn't filled with a learning experience as my last post was, but these are just some general observations I have noticed and some concerns I have as I move further along into the semester. Hopefully all of the concerns I have will be absolved and I can move along smoothly throughout the semester. Also, I hope to develop more of a relationship with the students I do not know and continue to develop the relationships I have already set in motion.
-Mr. T
No comments:
Post a Comment