Sunday, September 21, 2014

The One with the Epic Poems

   So this week, my "big" assignment was having my students write their own epic poem. After having them create an epic hero and a monster for said hero, I allowed them time to craft their battle scene between the hero and the monster. Now before this, we went over some qualities of epic heroes and epic poems and I assisted them in the process of creating all of this.


   I am happy to report that it seems all of the students really enjoyed the assignment and were able to get into it and make something really interesting. Overall I think this assignment was a success and I will be trying to do more things like this in the future to help supplement the overarching lesson I am teaching (in this case, Beowulf). The only thing I would do differently next time is to have the students do this individually instead of in a group. This way, each student would be responsible for their own work and it won't fall on one or two people in the group like I feel may have happened once or twice.




                                                                                                              -Mr. T

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear this worked. It's my kind of assignment, both as a student and as a teacher! Think about even more options next time, too.

    ReplyDelete